Sunday, January 25, 2009

It's a whole New Year

As I mentioned in an earlier post--I managed to gain 15 pounds from Nov 1 to Jan 1. while I was away from home all those weeks--in Utah and Oregon--I did not follow my low carb eating plan and it had serious consequences!!! And as a post menopausal, hypothyroid woman--losing it is going to be daunting.

So here is the plan:

I am eating a VERY basic induction style low carb plan. 30 or less carbs ( subtracting fiber) per day.

For fitness I subscribe to the primal blueprint rules set out by Mark Sisson ( see his blog link in the list to the left--Mark's Daily Apple) i.e. Move around a lot slowly. Lift some heavy things. run really fast occasionally.

Hence I have committed to a weight lifting program:
Once a week on Sundays an intense session ala the book "Slow Burn" ( by Fred Hahn and the Eades's--check the links on the left)
this is a great plan as it takes about 30 min, one set only of each exercise and3-4 reps at super slow speed--ie 10 seconds up and 10 seconds down--to muscle failure. it kicks your a$$!!!!

I am doing a program of sprints twice a week. go as fast as you can for as long as you can go up to 30 seconds. then rest till you can breath again. then repeat for up to 8 sets. currently I stair climb ( its right handy there in the house!) when I started I could only go up and down 3 times before I had to stop. yesterday I did seven ! I can only do about 4 sets before I'm exhausted.

the ultimate plan is to work up to doing these as Tabata Sprints: 20 seconds on as fast as you can, then 10 seconds rest and repeat 8 times. Takes four minutes total. but what a workout!

you can do these sprints with anything--running, biking, stationary bike, jump rope --even pull ups or jumping jacks.

Then everyday that I don't weight lift or sprint I go for a walk or use the rowing machine or our stationary bike in a leisurely manner for a half hour or so.

I'll be reporting my stats and success ( or failure) here as a bit of accountability.

1 comment:

Kylee said...

Best of luck! I too have been struggling with losing a few (or 40) extra pounds. It's tough!

I totally forgot Seth's birthday this year. Tell him I'm sorry that Zach didn't call. (It's my job to remind him of any birthdays in the family.)