Friday, September 12, 2008

WHAT I BUILT ON MY SUMMER VACATION

Most of you are aware that Seymour and I have a large yard! Almost an acre. And that most of it is (was) basically untamed--with a redneck, ozark-y weedpatch and rusty vehicle ambience. This year I decided the time had come to start getting it beautified and I picked out the front leftish quandrant as my focus for the year.

I wish that I had taken before pictures so I could really show the difference but....

the project began small--lay down weed block cloth and mulch and plant shrubs along a 12 foot by 20 foot swath next to the driveway. then I decided I had always wanted an oriental bridge and after seeing what one would cost (!!!!!!) I built one myself for a fraction of the cost! feeling very accomplished and cool, I went on to dig and build a 40 foot stream for UNDER the bridge.

here is a picture after that phase--with some plants in as well and the paths laid out:

And another view of the steam:
Then I decided we really needed a gazebo or pergola or something--a destination over the bridge......so I built one!


This is the finished area with the groundcover grown up and all. ( we are experimenting with dutch white clover instead of grass. I don't have time to mow this much property every week!)

we really love the space!


it is rather magical to sit out here with the stream burbling and the birds chirping. I have added a statue and a fairy or two as well. LOL. (The tree just to the right of the picture is a pear tree--more fruit trees will be going into the area next spring.)

so there you have it--what I did with MY summer ...uh...vacation?

3 comments:

Kylee said...

Wow, what a difference! It looks amazing and well worth all that work.

Serenity Rachel said...

So, Mom, when are you going to come stay with me and help tame my 2 1/2 acres? I could use your construction skills for all kinds of things:-) It looks great!

Gusti said...

Deborah- Glad I followed your comment on Reni's Blog to find you and your blog. I am so impressed with the outdoor living space that you have created! I want to build stuff like that- seriously most of the power tools in the garage are mine, it's finding the time to do it that gets me.I had this foolish notion that I would have more time to myself as my kids get older... what was I smokin? They only get more involved with their own social calendars and their need to talk and process "stuff" with me just increases. I'm actually very happy that they do come to me, I just thought I might be able to work on some other projects at this time in my life. Welcome to blogging- happy to see you here.