Thursday, September 11, 2008

SWISS CHARD QUICHE

Ingredients

1 T olive oil
1/2 of an onion, chopped ( about 1/4 cup or so)
1/2 cup cooked chopped swiss chard ( including stems)

2 1/2 cups shredded cheese

4 eggs

1/2 cup cream+1/2 cup water

salt

pepper


Directions

preheat oven to 375. grate cheese--(use a nice variety. I like a mixture of cheddar and jack and some of the mexican 4 cheese blend from costco ) Saute onion til translucent, then add chard and stir til warm. meanwhile whisk eggs then add cream and cheese then chard mixture. pour into pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray. cook 34-40 min til browned and set.

YUMMY

I served this with a mess of home grown tomatoes dressed with basil, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. one of the best meals EVER.

2 comments:

Quinn said...

Ok, I'm a dork, I just saw you even have me linked on your page. Wow, you are quick!! My mom used to make a "swiss chard pie" when I was growing up. Never made it myself, but it was one of my FAV childhood recipes. I tried spinach quiche yesterday, but I should have done it different. I layered the spinach, but I should have mixed it with the egg. It is a crustless recipe though - therefore very low carb. Basically putting the cheese on the bottom of the greased pan. The cheese has been tossed with 2 tblsp of whole wheat flour. Creates a type of crust. I'm going to try to find chard here in Germany.

Deborah said...

there really is something about chard! it just TASTES healthy!