Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Exercise

I bought  a bike yesterday!!!!!

I just finished ready a wonderful ( though scary in a way) book called "younger next year, for women" about the need to exercise 6 days a week basically...to keep telling your cells that you are alive and want to stay that way!

 SIX DAYS A WEEK!!!... 4 days of doing something for 45min to an hour ( thats minimum you can go longer if you can and want to)  that makes you sweat ( Zumba would qualify wouldn't it Annie?  I may look for a class here!!!), and 2 days lifting weights.

the four days should mix it up and be something you like--so some days a walk or a hike, some days an aerobics class, or an evening square dancing or....whatever.   hence the bike!

I've always liked the IDEA of bike riding- zooming around in the beauty of nature etc etc but usually hated the real deal--because I was so uncomfortable the whole time.  WELL.. found out yesterday I have never ridden  a bike that FITS me!! (  plus--ridden what they call a "comfort" bike--with the handle bars much HIGHER than the seat so you just sit up straight and don't have to lean over and put pressure on your back and shoulders ( not to mention those oh-so-delicate lady parts)  I am  so not interested in acheiving aerodynamic posture of a racer to gain a half second on one's opponent!!!LOL  I just wanna have fu-un!

I also joined  the rec center...2 miles tops from my house ( so I can bike there!) with a nice weight room and an indoor pool.

of course--I was gonna take my first bike ride this morning and it's cold and threatening rain!  so should I go swim or lift instead? hmmm

2 comments:

Gusti said...

you go girl, and I'll be waiting to hear how it all works out!

Annie Leavitt said...

zumba totally counts!

wouldn't it be awesome if all women exercised 6 days a week? what a difference it would make just in our attitudes alone.

good luck! so excited for you.