Tuesday, February 26, 2013

updates

Well  I did indeed follow the program pretty well--not as much exercise but some every week eating on plan--with no weight loss ( in fact some gain, maybe up  almost a half pound some days--  highest weight probably 150 .3) I decided that there was no need to continue for the 12 weeks as nearly 6 weeks with no change-- CLEARLY this alone wasn't working!!!

 I did some very serious praying for guidance as to what i should do next and LO AND BEHOLD... one of my regular blogs posted THIS:  The Fat Fast Cookbook.  I decided this was a hint--sooooo... I took it!  Bought the book and started the plan.  started last Monday and lost 3 pounds in the first 5 day pass!!!!!!!!  gained 2 pounds back over the weekend on a modified Atkins with a couple of little cheats  opening night of the show( I had 3 strawberries, 1 with chocolate, 2 paleo fudge balls made with dates and honey so high carb, and a ton of parmesan artichoke dip with unknown ingredients--clearly more cals and carbs than was good for me!)

 Back on plan as of Sunday morning. This morning I am back down to the lowest weight, sooo..this week I am going to try and stay on the plan for 10 full days--the longest recommended time--to just see what happens.  both on the fast and after i go  off it and add more protein and veg.
I have learned some important things on the plan-
-first,  sticking to the 1000 calorie a day  guidelines and paying close attention to portion size has made me  realize that I was very probably eating WAY to many calories for fat loss, even though sticking to Ketogenic protocol. ( and hence not GAINING!--but not losing)  Portion size DOES matter!

second--I really do seem to be one of those who is turning my dietary protein to sugar instead of turning to fat as fuel.  Hopefully a few rounds of the fat fast ( plus weight lifting) will fix that glitch!

my fasting blood sugar is still too high!  even on essentially zero carb  hmmm what to do about that I don't know.

2 comments:

Annie Leavitt said...

I'm always grateful you share your journey Aunt Debbie, because I learn a lot.

Since I cut out sugar things have been great, but still experiencing bloating and inablility to lose more weight. I read a lot about candida and cutting out gluten too.

It is hard, and making me slip on my sugar too, because feeding the whole family gluten free and sugar free? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Deborah said...

you probably do need to cut out grains--not just gluten, all grains (except maybe white rice) there are crappy things in there besides just the gluten that cause all kinds of joint, brain etc problems-- and our family heritage just does not allow us much leeway here if we want to stay healthy all our lives ( diabetes EVERYWHERE) it really doesn't have to cost more, it just means thinking outside the box and using veg instead of the bread, pasta, macaroni we are so used to filling our plates with.

there are lots of resources out there and lots of stories of families that have gone primal or paleo and the vast difference it made in those families' health. cookbooks too. ( not that you don't have anything else to do...!!!!!) i'll find some links for you.