Tuesday, January 6, 2009

8:Perfect Fudge

You've all gotten a lot of fudge pictures this year. And here is another!!! I started scooping a tiny bit early but the later pieces are perfect. and so was the taste and texture. This will probably be my last year making it--I made it for Ashley--next year she can make her own

I just eat it. And I gained 15 pounds over the hols this year. Gotta stop

for those of you who wanted it here is our recipe. It is basically just the recipe from Hershey's cocoa, with slight variations at the end.

Rich Cocoa Fudge

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
1. Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.

2. Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4-quart saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil. Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234°F --(IMPORTANT--we do it to 232 only!) on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water, forms a VERY soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)

3. Remove from heat. pour onto a large platter on which the butter butter and vanilla has been previously place. DO NOT STIR. Cool at room temperature to 110°F (lukewarm). Beat with a wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss. Quickly scoop with a teaspoon onto waxed paper. It helps if you have two people to do this. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature. About 36 pieces or 1-3/4 pounds.

NOTE: For best results, do not double this recipe.

2 comments:

Quinn said...

Thanks Deborah for the fudge recipe. I am actually excited because my biggest problem here is finding all the ingredients for making certain things. Like I always make 7 layer cookies, but we don't have graham crackers, american style coconut, choc. chips or butterscotch chips. That's already almost half of the ingredients I have to haul over from the states. I tire of it and have started really looking for things with non-"german"obscure ingredients. Your recipe doesn't have marshmallows or marshmallow creme. Perfect! I am assuming that German chocolate will substitute ok for Hersheys. lol. Been reading all your last blogs. They're great! Love the new tree.

Deborah said...

I think any unsweetened cocoa will work just fine. I always use the Hershey's because that is what My mom used and nothing else tastes exactly right to me--and the only reason for making this now is the nostalgia factor.

but, yeah any cocoa will work.